Tuesday, July 04, 2006

LISA TODAY

LISA

TODAY
July 04, 20006

Barrow Neurological Institute

Phoenix, AZ

Introduction. The two paragraphs immediately below are made up from my imagination, also some of the events I describe never occurred… such as the “Sesame Street” episode I used to describe Michael’s vocalizations. My purpose is to draw you into Lisa’s story in a way that will enable you to relate and thereby become part of the story. My intent is not to minimize the seriousness of Lisa’s medical situation or of the struggle she is undergoing.


February, March, April, May, June and now July has arrived. I’m still laying here; the television is somehow on “Sesame S

treet,” and Big Bird… Big Bird screeching? Am I losing my mind? Is that Big Bird screeching? Whew, I wish I could laugh out loud. It’s Michael, making that funny-high pitched-screeching noise, and he’s charming Dr. Kwasnica, who is making her rounds with her nurse practitioner Suzanne and a resident, and they are all here in my room. I know he is successfully charming them because everyone is in good spirits and enjoying the moment. We’re all enjoying the moment.

I needed the break, I have really been thirsty, and from the extra fluid’s I was given I must of been dehydrated. An IV is a long way from a “cool one,” but it’ll do for now… until I can get out of here. Last night was restless for me, my breathing was audible, and it was decided I should have some precautionary tests. A chest x-ray, supplemental oxygen and a CT scan were ordered. All in a day’s work, you’d think, huh? The CT scan came at 2 AM, and me; having little else to do, took it all in stride. I was glad to hear the medics talking to Richard because they were saying my heart and respiration rates were spot on. You know I’ve always liked a normal heart rate, and that breathing thing, I like normal breathing too. I began to feel better soon after the IV fluids got into my system. The tests turned out okay, and unremarkable and I’m resting more comfortably now.

There is an

Isabel Bloom (Mother & Child) statue on a shelf overlooking my bed here at Barrow Neurological Institute (BNI). The day I was transferred to BNI, from Select Specialty Care Hospital, Mike a Nurse Assistant placed the statue on the shelf for me. Later that evening, Joe, a BNI Registered Nurse, got me squared away in my room. Joe noticed the Isabel Bloom right away, and asked about it. Sherry told him it came from Rock Island, Illinois. Joe became really excited because, as we learned, Joe was from Rock Island where the statue was made. He wanted to know all about it, and Sherry told him she received it as a gift from the Emergency Room Staff at St. Mary Medical Center. (Sherry is a 30-year employee of St. Mary’s.) Sherry told him she thought it would be fitting for me to have it. So there it stands and heartfelt greetings were shared all around.


Meet Heath

er (on the left below) a Nurse Assistant who works with Lisa. One can describe Heather as cheerful, willing, proficient and caring. It makes a day brighter when she cares for Lis

On the very serious side of matters, there is a war raging for Lisa’s body; it is being waged against Spasticity. After receiving applications of Botox and a bolus of Baclofen last week marginal improvement is seen in Lisa’s neck, shoulders, and waist. So in these three areas Spasticity has the high ground, so to speak. Lisa is, however, showing some improvement in her arms, legs and torso; it can be described as modest. Her dosage level of Baclofen is now at 450 micrograms. The drug is administered to Lisa 2 to 3 times a week, and on each occasion the amount receives is increased at the rate of 20 micrograms. It is expected she will reach a target, therapeutic level of 900 to 1000 micrograms in two weeks.

Dramatic improvement is seen in both Lisa’s ankles. She exhibits good range of motion. A week ago, had Lisa tried to stand she would have fallen because both of her ankles were turned. This is no longer the case as you can see below. The serial casts will prevent the reoccurrence of her ankles contracting.

On behalf of Lis

a, Richard and Michael, thank you most sincerely for the love and compassion you have shown them in this time, and for your continued interest in my narrative through “Lisa Today.”


Please send me your comments and suggestions, and especially questions that I may be leaving or have left unanswered.


To you and your family, we wish for you a very Happy and Safe Independence Day!

Until next time…

Michael


mlwintory@msn.com